I want to write a will. Where do I start?

Historically, all wills were processed by the local BIA office. As of April 29, 2005, the BIA no longer provides this assistance. Nevertheless, your local BIA office is still a good place to start when gathering information and inquiring about estate planning for trust land and assets. The BIA office may make referrals to other organizations and attorneys who can draft a will for you. Also inquire with your tribe to see if a tribal probate code may affect your trust assets.

Another important item to note is that there are separate wills required for trust assets and real property. Trust assets include trust land, restricted land and Individual Indian Money (IIM) accounts. Real property is something affixed to the land such as the house and any other personal property.